As many of you know, this past weekend was the ten year anniversary of 9/11. My dad had a business convention and was one of the lucky ones that got to fly out to Orlando on Sunday. Fortunately, his flight went smoothly with no hassle. Others were not so lucky, including Shoshana Hebshi. She was just another woman flying on 9/11/11 who was handcuffed after the two men she was sitting between on the plane were reported for suspicious behavior. Talk about unsettling. In the end though, everything turned out to be fine and she made it home safely, reporting that she would never fly again on another 9/11.
If you asked me where I was ten years ago on that fateful Tuesday I would probably tell you a story that was exaggerated for your own entertainment. Starting along the lines of, "We were at the airport flying to Boston," to catch your attention and ending with, "Our flight was cancelled for obvious reasons, and to this day I have still not been to Boston." There's about one third truth in that.
Here's what honestly happened:
We woke early that morning to a phone call, one of my dad's friend's wife had passed away in her sleep the previous night. I was only six, and did not know her, so I wasn't phased by this. My dad then went to work; on his way he had the radio on and that's how he heard the news of the Twin Towers. He called us and told my mom. She wasn't extremely upset; probably more worried about getting me to school on time. A few, "Oh, that's terrible," and, "Too bad," were murmured, but other than that I had no idea what the impact of the situation was, so I went to school with no worries. My first grade teacher didn't tell us anymore than she had to and it wasn't that I got home did the effect really set in. My mom told me to come sit down, I did. She explained, to the best that she could to a six year old, what had happened and that we wouldn't be flying to Boston the next day. My grandpa had called and told us not to fly, but either way we couldn't because the airports has shut down. And to this day I still have not been to Boston.
That's the honest, boring truth of the matter.
If you asked me where I was ten years ago on that fateful Tuesday I would probably tell you a story that was exaggerated for your own entertainment. Starting along the lines of, "We were at the airport flying to Boston," to catch your attention and ending with, "Our flight was cancelled for obvious reasons, and to this day I have still not been to Boston." There's about one third truth in that.
Here's what honestly happened:
We woke early that morning to a phone call, one of my dad's friend's wife had passed away in her sleep the previous night. I was only six, and did not know her, so I wasn't phased by this. My dad then went to work; on his way he had the radio on and that's how he heard the news of the Twin Towers. He called us and told my mom. She wasn't extremely upset; probably more worried about getting me to school on time. A few, "Oh, that's terrible," and, "Too bad," were murmured, but other than that I had no idea what the impact of the situation was, so I went to school with no worries. My first grade teacher didn't tell us anymore than she had to and it wasn't that I got home did the effect really set in. My mom told me to come sit down, I did. She explained, to the best that she could to a six year old, what had happened and that we wouldn't be flying to Boston the next day. My grandpa had called and told us not to fly, but either way we couldn't because the airports has shut down. And to this day I still have not been to Boston.
That's the honest, boring truth of the matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment