Read the article here.
Within the last twenty four hours, Google+ went public. Before it was by invitation only; each user had 150 invites to send to their closest friends and family who were not already on the social network. How do I know? I still have 150 of these now useless invites. The link to my profile is on the left hand side of this page, or just click here.
If you're going to put me in one of your circles make it the following one. For those of you who are unaware what all of this terminology means, let me explain. On MySpace, you have friends; Facebook has friends, but you can also list family; on Twitter you have followers. Rumor has it that Google+ is a combination of all the social networks, so they give you circles that have all of these options. I'ts pretty much just your basic privacy settings, you choose which circle(s) you share what with. Plus, you can make your own, but to start with there are four basic ones:
Following- someone you're linked with just to see their posts.
Acquaintances- which is what everyone on Facebook truly is.
Friends- the ones who know more about you then your parents do.
Family- they added you, you add back just as not to appear rude.
Now, I've been on Google+ just four days shy of two months. It's boring, but it shows potential. The main reason I find it boring is probably the lack of use it has. Six people have me in their circles. That's the equivalent to taking half a dozen of your least active Facebook friends and only seeing them on your newsfeed-no one else. Boring.
After a month of being a Google+ user I decided to see who they recommended I add to my circles. Celebrities. I was actually surprised how many already had official pages. So here I am adding Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Demi Lavoto and Ashton Kutcher to my following circle like we're all best buds. But we're not, and after a week of seeing them on my stream it was painfully obvious they were using it as self promotion. And that it wasn't even run by the celebrities themselves, just their hired people. The only useful information I found was the Preston, Britney's son celebrated another birthday.
Maybe now that Google+ is available for everyone it might be more entertaining. The only downside- it won't seem as select anymore to users who had to be invited when it was first created. We'll see what happens, it's only a matter of time before Facebook joins it's distant cousin Myspace in the land of has-been social networks. Google+ might come to the forefront, only after battling down Twitter.
Within the last twenty four hours, Google+ went public. Before it was by invitation only; each user had 150 invites to send to their closest friends and family who were not already on the social network. How do I know? I still have 150 of these now useless invites. The link to my profile is on the left hand side of this page, or just click here.
If you're going to put me in one of your circles make it the following one. For those of you who are unaware what all of this terminology means, let me explain. On MySpace, you have friends; Facebook has friends, but you can also list family; on Twitter you have followers. Rumor has it that Google+ is a combination of all the social networks, so they give you circles that have all of these options. I'ts pretty much just your basic privacy settings, you choose which circle(s) you share what with. Plus, you can make your own, but to start with there are four basic ones:
Following- someone you're linked with just to see their posts.
Acquaintances- which is what everyone on Facebook truly is.
Friends- the ones who know more about you then your parents do.
Family- they added you, you add back just as not to appear rude.
Now, I've been on Google+ just four days shy of two months. It's boring, but it shows potential. The main reason I find it boring is probably the lack of use it has. Six people have me in their circles. That's the equivalent to taking half a dozen of your least active Facebook friends and only seeing them on your newsfeed-no one else. Boring.
After a month of being a Google+ user I decided to see who they recommended I add to my circles. Celebrities. I was actually surprised how many already had official pages. So here I am adding Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Demi Lavoto and Ashton Kutcher to my following circle like we're all best buds. But we're not, and after a week of seeing them on my stream it was painfully obvious they were using it as self promotion. And that it wasn't even run by the celebrities themselves, just their hired people. The only useful information I found was the Preston, Britney's son celebrated another birthday.
Maybe now that Google+ is available for everyone it might be more entertaining. The only downside- it won't seem as select anymore to users who had to be invited when it was first created. We'll see what happens, it's only a matter of time before Facebook joins it's distant cousin Myspace in the land of has-been social networks. Google+ might come to the forefront, only after battling down Twitter.
No comments:
Post a Comment