Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I judge stupidity.

This weekend I was scrolling through the news stories on my phone trying to find one interesting enough to write about when I came across, "Mother pushes daughter out of train's path but can't save herself." The first thought that ran through my mind was, "Ahh, a mother's love. The daughter must have been trying to commit suicide and the mother made the ultimate sacrifice to save her." Wrong. The mother, Susan Dilbene, 33, was taking her two year old daughter on a walk in her stroller. She came across the train tracks, the arm had come down warning of an oncoming train, and she still crossed it. THAT IS YOUR OWN STUPIDITY. I didn't and don't feel bad after I read that she had practically, voluntarily, killed herself. Forever judging you.

Now thinking back to some many months ago, in the cold classroom of driver's ed, I can remember having a guest speaker telling us about railroad safety. When he said that people still die at railways, I understood, when he said that hundreds of people die annually, I wanted to call his bluff. Part of me didn't want to believe there were actually enough people out there who would try to race a train. But apparently, there are. I'm sorry that there is no cure for the common idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment