Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween was yesterday.

Maybe it was just me, but it didn't feel like Halloween. Maybe it was the lack of trick-or-treaters. Maybe it was the lack of decorations. Maybe it was the lack of costume. Whichever it was, to me it was just another Monday.

Since our house is bound the hit the market any day now we didn't put up any decorations. The only things you could find were balloons and "Happy Birthday," signs. Oh right, did I mention my birthday's the day before, the 30th? Well, it is. So the two days kind of mash together for me. I stopped having birthday parties and started having Halloween ones after I turned eleven so no one felt the obligation to bring a gift. But besides that we didn't even get a pumpkin, not even the mini ones or a fake, battery operated one.

For the past three consecutive years, we haven't had a single kid, or enthusiastic teenager, at our door. What's up with that? Well, our house is in the middle of nowhere. I'm not complaining though. Halloween has always been a holiday that's blown out of proportion. It should be a holiday for the kids, pass twelve and you should be done. Obviously, not everyone shares this belief, because there were high schoolers who showed up in full out costume yesterday. No, wrong, stop, costumes at school are for the parades and for parents to watch their children walk around all cute. Not for high schoolers to show up even sluttier than usual.

I read an article that this year alone was bringing in billions of dollars spent on candy, costumes and decorations. This is what's wrong with our economy. I want the old fashion Halloween, where'd you dress up, ring doorbells and say, "Trick or treat," in the sweetest voice possible, have candy put in your bucket and tack on the, "Thank you," before repeating this process at the next house. Let's bring that one back.

No comments:

Post a Comment